Friday, January 13, 2012

Grandma's Blanket

Hello,
 We finally had snow! I love the snow. On Wednesday the temperature was in the mid 50s. Yesterday and today the highs are around 12 or 14 degrees. I took some pictures out of the windows of our house. All the windows have non moveable screens, except for the ones in our bedroom. My husband is still sleeping so I took these from the living room and Autumn's bedroom...
This is looking out of the front, you can hardly see our white car.
This from Autumn's bedroom looking out over our back patio.

In the summer you can't even see the back neighbors, the leaves are so thick on the trees. It is still snowing and I love it. I love winter. I love the snow. Fall is my favorite season, but winter is close. School was delayed two hours this morning, so Autumn got to sleep in. I don't have to work today either, it has been great morning.
 I have been working on the BLANKET STATEMENT CAL with the We Love Lucy group on Ravelry. Here is my progress so far.
Those are my toes in the funny slippers Autumn got me for Christmas. I am going to make another one of these with Debbie Stoller's group, Citizen's of Stitch Nation, also on Ravelry. I am still waiting for my yarn. It was supposed to be delivered on the 11th. Hopefully today. I can't wait to compare my stash colors to the Bamboo Ewe that is used in the pattern.
  A couple of people have asked about the blanket I made for my Grandma. I used Lion Brand Yarn's Homespun in the color Tudor. It is a bulky yarn and stitches up really quickly.

I used an N hook. That is a really big hook. Then ch. 144. Dc in the 4th ch from the hook. You will have 140 dc and a ch 3. Each panel is 140 dc with the ch 3 at the beginning. Make 8 rows. Then ch 4 and sk two stitches. Then dbltreble in next dc., ch1, working behind last dbltreble sk one stitch and dbltreble in next stitch back. This will make  an x.*Ch1, in 4th stitch dbltreble, ch1, working behind previous dbletreble, sk next st. then dbltreble in next stitch back.* continue across. You will have a dbltreble every other stitch. When you get to the end of the row and complete your last X, then treble in the last stitch.
The next 8 rows will be 140 dc with the starting ch 3. You will make 6 panels of 8 rows, separated with a row of Xs. You will have 5 rows of Xs. I used 6 1/2 balls of Homespun. I hope this pattern makes sense. I need to work on writing patterns that I make up. If I made any mistakes let me know. I will talk to everyone very soon. Have a wonderful weekend.













9 comments:

  1. Your Granny Blanket is looking really good, so pretty...keep going it looks like you need it with all that snow...my ripple is now at the size it keeps me warm to work on it :) You have a good weekend too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your blankets they look so warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo on both of your blankets! Pretty snow.. have fun in it.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow looks so beautiful!
    And I LOVE your Grandma's blanket- it looks like such a great pattern. I will bookmark this for a rainy day!
    Have a fab weekend.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your blanket is beautiful. I've only managed to join the we love lucy group but i still haven't looked at the CAL properly. This week I will get organised. Love the snow, I wish that was the view from my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. both your blankets are coming on really well. your lucy blanket is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish we had snow!
    Love your blankets, Judy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you really seem to get your crochet hooks working... Beautiful blankets! I just came by to thank you and tell you how honored I feel that you wanted to make my African Flower bag in your Ravelry group. Please, feel free to ask if you have any questions. I know the pattern is a little poorly written... But you seem to know what you're doing. :) So again, thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nilla, We have a big interest in your bag. It was what we chose to makeout 5 different choices. I love it and we are going to start on it today. I am going to blog about it too, it is so pretty.

      Delete